Vintage Market Design

Vintage Market Design

About Me

My photo
God does have a sense of humor, after years of infertility, we adopted 2 beautiful babies, I later had the "surprise baby"! In the very spare time I have, I love to decorate, paint, and make all kinds of things. I do repurpose old furniture and custom paint furniture for clients. I work with all types of vintage items. I love to make our house a home. I like to see how others do it and share what I do also. Contact me at alittlecountryhouse@gmail.com if you are interested in any products I have posted or if you are local to Atlanta and want a furniture face lift! Love your old junk again!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Quality Time With Your Kids

We love the holidays, of course, and Christmas is THE favorite. My kids and I love to do crafts this time of year. I always scour magazines looking for fun things to make or do. I found this advent calendar on a blog. Ours looks nothing like the original. Her calendar was made with painted paper-mache boxes on a chalk- painted board with ribbon, etc....very fru fru. My version, is the less perfect, kid friendly, home made, quirky kind. The girls really helped (the boys were not into this craft as much) and they painted and decorated all the boxes. I had an old picture frame. It was already green, which worked for us! I removed the glass and covered the foam board that was already in the frame (behind the old picture) with brown wrapping paper. We then bought little card board jewelry boxes from Michael's and painted them and placed stickers on them. The boxes were like .79 each. We found some nativity stickers we liked and stuck those on the background, along with the boxes. That is it, we have an advent calendar! Everyday, the kids can open a box and pull out a treat, a bible verse, or a piece of candy. They will have to take turns, for it will be someone different each day that gets to open a box. I hope this is fun and doesn't turn ugly after a few days......We will see! My niece Lauren and I also made some ornaments. I already had some glass balls. We just ripped tissue paper that goes in gift bags and stuffed them in the glass balls. That is all. I think they look pretty cool.




Another thing the kids and I made was this garland. We made it with some grosgrain ribbon, gift tags, felt ornaments and paper ornaments. Everything really was about $1.00 or less. We just strung everything on and hung it up with thumbtacks. The kids colored and cut out the letters for Jesus. I think it's pretty cute. I like kidsy crafts around my  house at the holidays. It feels like home. It feels like Christmas and reminds me of how fast they are growing up and how I want them to stay little....I just got weepy, writing that...... If you have little ones, enjoy this Christmas with them. Don't get so caught up in the hoopla and mayhem and forget what it's all about. If you don't have kids, get your nieces and nephews and hang out or your grandkids. Make time to love your loved ones!
Hope you enjoy! Love......









3 comments:

Glitterbugz Makeovers said...

soooo adorable.. i just love you :).. i admired your advent calendar yesterday and would've looked around more if i had time ;) have a great day mrs. blog <3

Burlap Street said...

hello mrs blog! i want to come to your house and have a cup of joe and watch little people open an advent box after school.

Melanie said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! LOVE this! You have a beautiful blog!

So nice to 'meet' you today! I'm your newest follower :) I blog at "Only A Breath" and would love for you to stop by and visit :)

Hugs!
Melanie