Vintage Market Design

Vintage Market Design

About Me

My Photo
God does have a sense of humor, after years of infertility, we adopted 2 beautiful babies, I later had the "surprise baby"! In the very spare time I have, I love to decorate, paint, and make all kinds of things. I do repurpose old furniture and custom paint furniture for clients. I work with all types of vintage items. I love to make our house a home. I like to see how others do it and share what I do also. Contact me at alittlecountryhouse@gmail.com if you are interested in any products I have posted or if you are local to Atlanta and want a furniture face lift! Love your old junk again!

Friday, January 13, 2012

Bed In A Closet!

What used to be the baby nursery, is now the "GIRLS" room. We have 3 girls, 2 boys. When it was the nursery, which I will show you one day, it was beautiful. Dreamy, willow trees on pale green walls, bugs and birds of all kinds buzzing about, custom bedding and window treatments.... I loved being in that room with my little babies. But then, they grew up, and wanted their own rooms, and
"big kid" rooms....sad, but it happens. So, the nursery became my daughter's room, and when our nieces moved in, it became their room too. Problem is, the room is only about 12x13.  When we built the house, there was already a walk-in closet in that room, so I had the builder leave the extra closet open. I'm glad, cause it did open the room a little more. Having 3 girls, we decided to put a built in bed in that open closet.  My sister helped me. We just used the studs in the closet wall, and the outer frame of the space to attach and frame the bed. We cut MDF board for the platform, that the mattress would lay on. We made it tall, so the kids could store stuff underneath, or get under it and play. Then, I found a mattress at IKEA that fit pretty well, and there ya go...bed in a closet.  I actually stapled the bed skirt fabric to the wood support, running across the bed frame. I don't sew....It is a little crude under there, but it is very stable, and the kids seem to love it. It is a neat kind of nook to sit in and read, etc..... It definitely gave us more sleeping room for the girls. So, if you think you are running out of space. I bet, if you look around your house, you can always eek out another few feet, somewhere......


there is a light in here too. Can you say PINK!


shelves for her nicknack's...

I added these corbels when it was a nursery, but I love them, makes the opening a lil more fun...

Hobby Lobby fabric--cheapy...

I won't pull up that skirt, it will ruin the whole look....
Let's just say there is some kinda prison for dolls going on under there....
  Enjoy! Love!

Check out Thrifty Decor Chick's closet special!
http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2012/02/show-us-your-closets.html












Cottage & Vine


















Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog


http://katherinescorner.com/2012/01/12/thursday-favorite-things-blog-hop-linky-party-18/














Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

12 comments:

Katherines Corner said...

Well that is clever and so cozy too. Love the pink! Thank you for participating in the Thursday Favorite Things hop. xo

Polly @ Helping Little Hands said...

Our house is being built right now and we've had them build my son's closet big enough to build his bed into. I love the shelve and stuff you've put inside too...I hadn't thought of that. This looks great!

Michelle Johnnie said...

Great idea. My kids would love this. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I've put a dresser in a closet and my desk in a closet, but your bed in the closet is the best! Love it!

Kaitlyn said...

Wow! That is ridiculously clever!

René said...

What a fun use of space! I'll bet she likes sleeping all tucked in there.

Thanks for joining the party!
René

Renee from Where the Grass is Greener said...

This is an awesome idea! My boys never use their closets...might be time for a bed in it!

pam {simple details} said...

So clever, I bet they love cozying up there and playing! Great use of space!

The Vintique Object said...

I have always wanted to do this, but had never considered the idea that if he closet isn't deep enough, the bed can still stick out a little. It totally works! Thank you!
Camille

Jaynell said...

Super cute idea!

Claire said...

This is adorable!!!I'm your newest linky follower from TDC-stop by for a visit!

ShePotterGleeWhovian said...

I love this so much. My bedroom is 11x9 and I had a double bed when we moved into our apartment. After a year I finally just got my cousin to help me get it out if the house and begged my mom for a twin bed. The seven months when I didn't have a bed, I slept on the floor of my closet, until my neighbor moved and gave me their twin bed. I've had it for two years, and want back in my little closet. Yours is the most realistic and helpful post about a closet bed I've found.