Vintage Market Design

Vintage Market Design

About Me

My photo
God does have a sense of humor, after years of infertility, we adopted 2 beautiful babies, I later had the "surprise baby"! In the very spare time I have, I love to decorate, paint, and make all kinds of things. I do repurpose old furniture and custom paint furniture for clients. I work with all types of vintage items. I love to make our house a home. I like to see how others do it and share what I do also. Contact me at alittlecountryhouse@gmail.com if you are interested in any products I have posted or if you are local to Atlanta and want a furniture face lift! Love your old junk again!

Friday, March 22, 2013

Ode to Mustard Seed




  Hello Friends! Soooo ready for spring. The real spring, when its 70-75 degrees out, not this rainy and cold, faux winter we are having! It's coming though, I know it! Make-over time. I have this dresser we bought from Ikea, years ago. I bought it with the intention of painting it. I have never done it though cause, I am the girl with 5 kids, all under 13. Yesterday, I had a moment, and jumped on it. I used paint I already had, rolled up my sleeves, and did it! What truly inspired me, was the nightstand that Miss Mustard Seed did for her master bedroom. I loved it, and knew that look would fit this dresser perfectly. 2 years ago, I stumbled upon her blog. I was immediately drawn in, because that is my style. Cottage, Swedish, French, English, Country, Farmhouse, Vintage and flea market all rolled into one. Eclectic, a little of everything. Happy! I have painted furniture since Mike and I married, 21 years ago. The first thing I painted was an old dresser of his, so we could use it in our apartment. When I saw Mustard Seed, I was inspired that I could do this for other people too. That was the "seed" that sowed my business. For the past 17 months, God has shown me how to use my talents to help my family. I have been able to share what I do with others, and it has been a blessing and a sweet lesson in faith.
I love looking at junk and old furnishings and imagining what I can do for them. I enjoy seeing someone love their old desk again or table handed down from a family member. It is a parallel of how God sees us, and through Christ, He makes everything new again. He is the re finisher of our soul, and the finisher of our faith.

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corinthians 5:17. So, I thank God everyday for guiding me and giving me talents to use for the good. To make things "new", in my own way.  I thank Miss Mustard Seed for inspiring me to figure out that I could, and showing the world of possibilities in design.




Before, Ikea dresser, not a fan of the orange looking wood
and Yes, my room seems to be the catch-all for the house
I am trying to change that....

Behr, French Silver for the body and Martha Stewart, Wild Turkey
for the top, it actually looks like a pale coco, I love using this color
I make my own chalk paint sometimes

top while drying...and I did a stencil leaf in a creamy white

I used Annie Sloan Dark Wax on the top to give some depth

I like to play with techniques and chose to dry-brush the paint and
leave some wood showing and not distress it..then clear wax
to help seal it...

Finished and clean..made me clean the whole room!

I much prefer waking up to this...



Being a typical guy, took my hubby a few walks in and out of the
room before he said, HEY!
but he loved it!







Want to make something pretty?



Linking up Here:













http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/2013/03/feathered-nest-friday_21.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: blogspot/QoLtm (FRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGE)
Furniture Feature Fridays




6 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Very pretty makeover!

Shastar said...

This is lovely! I too discovered MMS about 2 years ago and love the inspiration that she comes up with. I love what you said about this being an avenue to grow your faith and reach out to others. I've only been restoring furniture for about 2 years, but have received so many revelations from God about how He picks up the discarded people and loves to restore them, bringing them back to a place of honour in the house! So many great life analogies.
Regards,
Sharon (Australia)

sandy said...

Found you on MMS. Love your dresser make-over! And the top of it now looks lovely! Isn't it funny how a simple change like that can make you feel? Have a great week.
Sandy

Anonymous said...

That is a really nice make over.

I have a piece of furniture in our basement waiting to be made over.

Hubby and I have been married 42 years. And my furniture make overs always he likes.

Pamela
WV

Jamie -Better With Age said...

Wow, so pretty! You did such a good job. It's looks very Miss Mustard Seed ;) I'm your newest follower! You should join my new linky party on Mondays {1 party, 5 blogs!} http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/03/give-me-goods-party-1.html
Have a great week!
Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Wow! It's stunning! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse