Vintage Market Design

Vintage Market Design

About Me

My photo
God does have a sense of humor, after years of infertility, we adopted 2 beautiful babies, I later had the "surprise baby"! In the very spare time I have, I love to decorate, paint, and make all kinds of things. I do repurpose old furniture and custom paint furniture for clients. I work with all types of vintage items. I love to make our house a home. I like to see how others do it and share what I do also. Contact me at alittlecountryhouse@gmail.com if you are interested in any products I have posted or if you are local to Atlanta and want a furniture face lift! Love your old junk again!

Friday, October 4, 2013

A Spring of Water


Sherry Lewis and her husband Marc are missionaries in Khon Khaen, Thailand. The have 2 beautiful children, Sophie and Nate. Sherry is the youngest sister of my best friend and she is like my second little sister. She and I took a very similar journey in the motherhood department. You can read more about Marc and Sherry and their ministry in Thailand at, http://www.marcusjlewis.com/, Declare. If you ever get the pleasure of meeting Sherry, she is a breath of fresh air and always real. This is a bit of her story.


 
 
 
A Spring of Water

 

 
There I was, 17 years old, floundering around in this “new life”. I was sure and excited about this decision I had made, but what do I do now? What is this supposed to look like? Though I had grown up going to church, I had just recently made a decision to follow Christ. Sadly, I had spent the last 3 years of my life looking for identity, searching for significance, in all the stereotypical high school drama. On one hand, as a 38 year old wife and mother, it seems so silly and trivial looking back now. On the other, there were decisions made during that time that stole innocence, leaving scars.  Thankfully, right there in the middle of it all, Jesus drew me to Himself, making a relationship with Him seem irresistible.

 
This decision wasn’t reached as a result of one particular person sharing with me, it really was just Jesus Himself, making me increasingly dissatisfied with my life and reminding me of the things I had heard about Him growing up. I wasn’t really close with anyone at my church so I didn’t know who to ask about what my next steps were. The most obvious thing to me was to stop doing these “bad” things and start doing more “good things”.

 

Stop drinking. Check. Get rid of the “bad boy” and get a “good boy”.  Check. Tell my friends that they couldn’t smoke pot around me anymore because I was a Christian. Check. Read my Bible- sometimes. Check. Pray- when I remember. Check. Ok, so far so good.

 

Somehow I made it through the rest of my Sr. year without scaring too many people off. I was convinced that college would be even harder, there’s no way I was going to meet other Christians- who were serious about Jesus. The first week of school I met a girl who was a Christian and she asked if I would be interested in having a small group bible study. She began discipling me and continued to for the next 3 years. She taught me the basics of the Christian life- studying the Bible, praying, sharing my faith and developing relationships with other Christians. This is when I learned what it meant to follow Jesus. My relationship with Christ began becoming more and more personal. He already had me, but He kept pursuing me.

 

The story of the woman at the well in John 4 became really dear to me. Remember? A Samaritan woman, with a colored past- many men, drawing water from a well. Jesus asks for a drink and when she inquires why He would even speak to her (it was a social no-no for a Jew to associate with a Samaritan), He answers with the following, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water…. Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” (John 4:10,13-14)

 
Another passage was Ps. 103: 1-5, “Bless the Lord, O my soul…who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth in renewed like the eagle’s.”

 
God was wooing me to trust Him, to REALLY trust Him to satisfy my deepest longings. He started inviting me to surrender more and more of my life based on this trust. Other passages started making me a little uncomfortable, like Matthew 4:19, “And he said to them, ‘Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.’ “ Start sharing my faith with girls in my dorm?! Seriously?! Seriously. I surrendered. He satisfied.

 

Jesus was still pursuing me. He was showing me that giving Him my life wasn’t just that one time, on that Tuesday in October, when I was 17. It was over and over and over.

 “And he said to all, ‘If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?”- Luke 9:23-25

 

 He was so patient, yet so persistent. I would hold on to my life, wanting to control it again. He would gently ask me to lay it down.

 

“I know this isn’t the greatest relationship but I really want to get married and what if another doesn’t come along?” Trust Me. I surrendered. He satisfied.

 

“But how can you really use me? I’m broken. I’m insecure. I’m a follower, not a leader.” Trust me. I surrendered. He satisfied. 

 

“Ok, I’ll follow You, but can I stay close to home? I’m comfortable at home. I’m loved at home. I’m secure at home.” Trust Me. I surrendered. He satisfied.

 

I’m going to have to fast forward to stay on point. By the time I was at my college graduation I was engaged to a godly man who was on his way to Thailand- indefinitely! That meant that I was on my way to Thailand. THAILAND! No where near my home! As a matter of fact, on the other side of the globe!!! Trust Me. I surrendered. He satisfied.

 

I could sit here and type for days about all the details of how God has richly satisfied the deepest desires of my heart in those times of surrender. To this day He continues to woo me, drawing me into deeper surrender. Through the pain of infertility and miscarriage, the joy of two adoptions, the fear of not knowing what tomorrow holds, leaving family over and over, missing out on Sunday dinners, nieces growing up, parents growing old, He bids me trust, surrender all that I hold dear and satisfies me with Himself, the spring of water that never leaves me thirsty.

 

What about you? What is He asking you to surrender today?  Is it your life? Your plans? Your children? Whatever it is, He is worthy.

 

 

 



5 comments:

Marc Lewis said...

Nice post. However, your husband seems like a meanie for taking you from your home and stuff like that. :-)

Beth @A Little Country House said...

Marc Lewis, you are a riot!

Burlap Street said...

Amen!!

Michelle Reeves said...

Precious and refreshing! God is amazing!

Sissy said...

You just make me smile :) I'm so proud to call you my baby sister even though there is nothing baby about you, you inspire me to fight the fight!!