Vintage Market Design

Vintage Market Design

About Me

My photo
God does have a sense of humor, after years of infertility, we adopted 2 beautiful babies, I later had the "surprise baby"! In the very spare time I have, I love to decorate, paint, and make all kinds of things. I do repurpose old furniture and custom paint furniture for clients. I work with all types of vintage items. I love to make our house a home. I like to see how others do it and share what I do also. Contact me at alittlecountryhouse@gmail.com if you are interested in any products I have posted or if you are local to Atlanta and want a furniture face lift! Love your old junk again!

Monday, October 21, 2013

Marcie's Story


Marcie has been one of my dearest friends for about 16 years. She is friendly, sweet, smart and talented. She sews amazing children's clothes. She is a resolute woman of the Lord. I have called on her for much advice during my homeschooling quest. I love that she wrote on this topic because sometimes, as home school moms, it is hard to convey why we do what we do.






The Million Dollar Question: Why Do You Homeschool?



Why on earth do you homeschool? If I had a dollar every time I heard that question, I’d be a rich lady.  I have always had a hard time answering that question on the fly.  I’d usually just get bits and pieces blurted out here and there, but would later regret not communicating my reasons any better than I did.  Now I have the opportunity to really think, consider, and pray exactly why I homeschool my four kiddos, ranging from first grade to eleventh grade. So here goes…. 


The Lord has honored me by entrusting my four sweet children into my care, as well my husband’s.  Who will love them better than I?  No one.   Deuteronomy 6:7-9 clearly states that “you shall teach them [God’s laws] diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.”   So you see, homeschooling has been around since Adam and Eve began raising their own.   
My homeschooling journey began when my oldest was going into kindergarten with a 3 month old and a 2 year old in tow.  What a sweet time that was, and how I miss those precious moments!  It seems incomprehensible that my first little kindergartner just turned sixteen and will graduate from high school in a very short 19 months.  Have the past ten years been a walk in the park loaded with elaborate science fair projects, and perfectly behaved little children?  Heck no!  But it has been REAL.  We are all learning together about the wonders of God.  In fact, school is so much better the 2nd time around…I highly recommend it…wink…wink.  My kids also talk to me (including the teenager), and I know what a huge blessing it is to have kids who want to include their mom in their lives.  Life truly is nothing but a vapor…over in a blink of an eye.  Homeschooling has allowed me to cherish the little time I have with them. 
There are many that will say I’m over sheltering my kids, and quite frankly, I take that as a compliment.  Just like newly sprouted plants need special care and protection from the outside elements within the walls of a greenhouse in order for their roots to grow deep, my children need protection from the elements of this world.  “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” (Eph. 6:12).  Soon enough their “roots” will be ready and they will leave the “greenhouse”, but until then they are all mine and they will abide underneath our shelter where they feel safe and secure.
Is homeschooling a sacrifice?   Would I love more time to sew, to train for a marathon, to have a well-ordered, dust free home?  Do I want to strangle my kids from time to time?  The answer to each of these is absolutely!  However, would I have joy in giving up homeschooling for these things?  Definitely not.  Homeschooling is what God has called me to do…it’s my purpose.  Therefore, if I chose to have more time for myself, I would be in disobedience to Him, and in my disobedience would not be joy.

Ultimately, schooling my kids at home has been a journey full of highs and lows, but I am so thankful for the lows.  Without the struggles, I would never have the relationship with Christ that I have today and in that I’m so very blessed.  I recently read another homeschooler’s mission statement for their own life, which stated “I will be a whole-hearted follower of Christ and glorify Him by shepherding the hearts of my children.”  My sentiments exactly.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Well said Marcie. I agree 100 %.

Burlap Street said...

I am always impressed by kids that are homeschooled. Always a little something different and good!! God bless you for your sacrifice.

SaySay said...

Great testimony to homeschooling Marcie - it is a precious time ❤Cindy

Michelle Reeves said...

What an inspiration you are! Great story!